By NICHOLAS GIBBONS
A salted-coconut twist on the Irish coffee, I came up with this by accident when using the wrong syrup to sweeten my coffee. Like an Irish coffee, this should be drunk THROUGH the cream!
- 30 Ml. Licor 43 Original
- 25 Ml. Coconut syrup
- 30 Ml. 1 shot espresso
- 100 Ml. Cream
- 100 Ml. Hot water
- 5 Ml. Salt (5g)
- HEAT THE GLASS WITH HOT WATER, then set aside.
- Add 100mL cream, 10mL coconut syrup and a pinch of salt (2.5g) into a cocktail shaker.
- Remove spring from a cocktail strainer, place into the shaker and shake until the cream mixture is suitably whipped, then set aside.
- Empty hot water from glass, then create a coconut rim by dipping the top first into coconut syrup, then into coconut shavings.
- Add 30mL Licor 43, 1 shot of espresso, 15mL coconut syrup and another pinch of salt (2.5g) into the glass.
- Top up with hot water (around 100mL) until 1.5cm from the top of the glass and give a quick stir with a bar spoon.
- Layer the whipped cream over the drink, aiding with a bar spoon if need be.
- Sprinkle coconut shavings over the top as the final garnish.
- One shot of espresso, prepared either by a moka pot or by a portafilter machine.